e This Code:

Friday, August 19, 2011

Fall Sewing and Back to School Growing pains

Well the children started school this week, sigh. Bash brother #1 won't start until ? Monday, that's how kindergarten works out here I guess. It is always hard for me when they go back to school. I get into a little funk the first couple of weeks. I love having my children home with me and when they go to school I can't help but to wander around feeling a little lost. Of course I will still have Bash Brother #2 and Baby Boy home with me, not to mention Lil Boo while my sister is still staying with us. But even still, it feels like something is missing whenever one of them is not home. I am a helicopter mom, meaning I hover over my children. I know that we must let our little birds fly at some point but that's not easy!!!!!!!!! Especially when your children have trouble in school either academically or socially, like mine tend to have, it causes a knot in my throat every day. So far Little Man seems to be enjoying school this year, he has a good friend of his in his class. So while Little Man sometimes has issues socializing because of the fact that he has Aspergers Syndrome, he seems to be doing fine this year. I think it is better to have one good friend than a lot of not so good ones. But the case is quite different for Missy Xiu. I think that my daughter socializes beautifully. She is sweet and considerate and not very shy. So you could imagine my surprise when I discovered that she is being shunned and picked on by some of the girls on the bus. I don't know what the reason for it is, but like most mean things that happen, I'd say that there is no good reason behind it. Since Missy Xiu has no sisters she is very eager to have girlfriends but sadly, it has not worked out so far. I will talk to the bus driver about the situation, but it is important that my daughter learn how to handle it as well, I'm just not sure how to help her stand her ground in this situation. Any advice out there?
Well to distract ourselves from knots in throats and pains in the pits of our stomachs, we sew. With fall rapidly approaching, I would like to get on the ball with some fall sewing. I have a bit of catching up to do, because our trip to New Mexico got me a little behind on my to do list. The pattern above is one I have mentioned before, but I think that it is perfect for fall and winter for the boys!!!!! The vest is supposed to be done in fleece, which is always nice and warm in our cold Colorado winters!!!!!!!!!

I love a good pinafore style dress for my daughter, and this pattern includes the leggings!!!!!!!!!!!! I love simplicity patterns, I would have to say that they are one of my favorites. Simplicity and Burda are usually what I sew with the most.

This pattern is super cute!!!!! I would love to sew up this as well. I usually choose things that can be layered. That way, when they get to school they can just add or remove layers to be comfortable indoors or out.

For myself, I have a few things planned. I love the vintage pattern below, but I have not been able to find it to purchase. So maybe I can adapt the Burdastyle pattern above to recreate the style.

I will also be making this blazer. I already have the fabric, a beautiful textured black stretch twill. I have a feeling that this will be a wardrobe staple!!!! I love the peplum! I will line it with a red fabric with a white pin dot.

I will also be making a pair of high waisted skinny jeans, hopefully that end up looking like the picture below. I have fabric for this as well, a very dark blue, almost black Italian stretch denim. This will be the first pair of jeans that I make, so I hope it goes well. I will be using a Burdastyle pattern for this as well, the one pictured below. I may have to do some fitting adjustments, but I am looking forward to the challenge!!!!! I will be omitting the pockets in the front and may be adding some in the back.






So readers, what are you all excited about sewing for fall? Do you as well have a hard time sending your children of to school? Any advice for my daughters dilemma? Thanks for stopping by and reading! Besos!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment