e This Code:

Friday, November 4, 2011

Baby it's Cold Outside!!!!!!


BRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! It has been a chilly week here!!!! We have already had 2 snow storms and it is only November! I of course have a cold, a result of trick or treating in the chilly air maybe? My children and hubby are sick as well. Since I have not been feeling well, you can imagine how lovely it was when I got a surprise in the mail today!!!!!!!! 2 artisan soaps from reader YARNDIVA!!!!! She was the winner of my pattern giveaway and sent me the lovely gift as a thank you!!!! You brightened up my week, thank you so much!!!! Your lovely sentiment left me feeling toasty warm!!!


Another thing leaving me toasty these days are the special holiday teas by celestial seasonings!!!! My favorite of which is the sugar cookie sleigh ride flavor!!! This tea really tastes like sugar cookies, which are my favorite cookies, it's genius!!! Celestial seasonings is also based out of Boulder Colorado so I always feel like I am doing something good for local commerce by buying their teas!!! You can pick these up in a local grocery store or online here. The candy cane flavor is delicious as well!


As far as sewing goes, I have done none this week! I have a lot on deck for November so I better get with it! I have actually been working on a pattern drafting project, so it hasn't been all tea drinking and tissues this week!. I am working on drafting a sloper! A sloper or block pattern is a main basic pattern that one can use to adapt and basically create any pattern they'd like. I will be doing a full post on Monday about this topic so look out for that! I have the book pictured above, How to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunn, you can buy it online here. This is a fabulous book!!!!!! It is a must have for the home seamstress who is interested in taking design on. I have had it for a while but just decided to dig it out and follow it to the letter so I can get some of my own designs drafted! I will be making the bodice and skirt blocks and then the pants block. To do so I have the tools below, also in my stash for quite some time now and I use them for pattern alteration all of the time!!! You can but them online here.
So I will be drafting up my blocks and then making them in muslin, which I will then rip apart and keep for endless use! I would like to make 2 dresses, a pair of pants, and a jacket this month. Ambitious? Maybe...... We will see what I can get done, and of course I will be posting all about it here. Have any of you ever tried your hand at pattern drafting?
I hope you all are keeping warm!!!!!!!!!!!
Besos!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you like the soaps. I have done a fair amount of my own drafting. It is not as easy as pulling out a pattern but sometimes it's just what you need. The main sloper is best made with tag paper, sort of like poster board. You can then make tracings with pattern paper then cut and change them all you want (like move darts or add gathers). Good for you for trying this. Yes it is snowing here too....brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the soaps! It is such a treat to use at the end of a long day!

    ReplyDelete