e This Code:

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Other Subject- Healthy Eating



I know this post is a bit out of left field but.... not really. Another thing that I would like to focus on in this blog is healthy eating, exercise and especially postpartum weight loss. This subject for most new mothers is in fact an enigma. I, in another phase in my life worked at a gym and briefly studied nutrtion. It is yet another passion of mine. Don't get me wrong, I eat unhealthy foods often. I am by no means a health nut or do I have OCD over what I eat. I simply have decoded eating and made it enjoyable while maintaining a healthy weight. I have gained a good amount of my weight with all 5 of my pregnancies, 35lbs and up. So I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the topic. With my first and third babies I gained 35 lbs. With my 3 others I gained 50, 40, and 55 lbs respectively. No laughing matter. With my last pregnancy, I had already packed on an additional 20 lbs before I even got pregnant! I had spent about 8 months just eating my feelings and laying sullenly in my room and it showed. Then I got pregnant with baby number 5 and since I had not resolved my depression that I was going through, the pounds kept on piling on! During the last portion of my pregnancy I was able to get a grip on myself and start working through my issues. After baby boy was born, I breast fed, which is like natures liposuction! I lost the 55 lbs gained during pregnancy within the first 6 months. I did so by cutting back on my calories and good old fashioned exercise. I must admit though that I am a lazy exerciser. My cardio usually ends without me even breaking a sweat. I much prefer toning exercises. I still had those pesky 20 depression lbs to lose though. These for some reason were much harder to get off. It took me another year to finally shed them. I went through a lot of sweat and tears before I got to my goal and in the end the thing that got those lbs to come off was not really my body, but my mind. It is all in our head. I had to change my attitude about the weight loss. I had lost all those pesky pregnancy pounds before but this case was different. Maybe because I was older, or maybe my head was all jumbled up about it. I changed the way I ate. I started to eat foods That would nourish me. I though to myself, fiber, my body could use some of that. I made protein a priority and started eating and drinking dairy. I'm nuts about nuts! But most importantly I cut way back on sugar! I also have adult acne that nothing will get rid of! Cutting back on sugar though has cleared up my face almost completely! Whenever I go on a sugar binge, I break out.
Well the reason why this post came up is because of this interesting piece I saw on GMA, it was pretty good, please take a look and enjoy.
I plan on posting much more on this topic, fun useful stuff, not nagging preachy stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment