Well here are my completed Bella pants from Burdastyle. These were an adventure in sewing if there ever was one. I made a few changes to the original pattern, for those of you familiar with this pattern you will see them right away. First and foremost, I got rid of the front pockets that were in the original. They were inserted pockets attached to a hip yoke with pleats. This was a very lovely detail, but I was afraid it would come across a little bulky in the denim. If I made these in a different fabric I might use the pleats, not sure though so don't hold me to that. So I used patch pockets in the front to mirror the ones in the back. I used a light stretch denim, I might make another pair in darker denim soon. So because of the light color, the details don't stand out as much. I also used a thread that matched perfectly, which is good because my top stitching isn't always as straight as I'd like it to be, but I'm working on it!
I had sewn them all up, attached the yoke and all, and lined the yoke with some cute red fabric with big white polka dots. I tried them on, and they fit all wrong. I was very put out. I had to rip the yoke off, lining and all. I hate ripping stitches with a passion, but it had to be done to save these pants from the UFO pile. I really wanted these pants, so there was no going back. I have a serious shortage of pants in my wardrobe and fall is knocking on my door. So with no real choice in the matter, I forged on. The first go around, The waist of the pants went up to my ribs, higher than I wanted them to be. In the back the yoke comes down to a point in the back center. This came down too low and did not lay flat enough. The overall effect was not very flattering to my back side. Since the pants come up high I had to do some adjusting to account for my swayback. So first I ripped off the yoke and cut down a couple of inches in the waist height, then I took in a couple inches in the top back center of the waist to adjust for the curve of my back. I attacked the bottom of the yoke. I turned the point into more of a curve that would be more flattering. I also added depth in the crotch to account for all the shortening of pieces and the fact that I do have a longer torso. When I took off the point-iness of the yoke bottom where it attaches to the pants, it caused the yoke to be shorter around,hmmmmm. I had to add panels in the front closure, but they are pleasantly hidden when you button up the pants. The results were a waistline that sits at the true waist and fits very nicely in the crotch and in the backside. I am very proud of this save and I love the resulting garment, which I have worn 3 times already!
|I used clear buttons, which I may replace later, they look a little flimsy.|
So that is it for these pants. I hope to make many more pairs of pants of all types. It was a challenge but it was fun! I have so many projects lined up! I have to get started on my circle skirt for Casey's sew along. I have most of my supplies so I will start the skirt next week. I Hope you all have a great day!!!!!!!!