e This Code:

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pants- Covering Our backs!



What is this?! Seriously. When did we as a society decide to wear pants that expose our butt cracks at every bend? I refuse to do this. Don't get me wrong,  I have been guilty of wearing these dangerously low cut jeans in the past, but recently I have decided that enough is enough! We have to start a movement and tell the fashion industry that this is out! These low slung jeans lead to all manner of fashion delinquency. First is the exposed butt crack, also referred to as "doing crack". Then we have the notorious, muffin top and lets not even talk about the yeast infection possibilities brewing in these things. Now my question is, if these pants cause so many issues for the wearer, why wear them?

Since I sew, I don't have to take this. I have been sewing pants this week and hope to make a few more pairs for the fall/winter. In every other decade, pants had a higher rise than they do now. As referenced in these pattern photos from the past, pants sat at the true waist. Even in the 80's and 90's jeans were not so low cut. Somewhere in the past decade, high waisted pants got the unfortunate label of , wait for it : mom jeans. Who came up with that term? I'd like to give that person a good talking to. First of all, I am a mom and I take offense to it. Just because you are mom does not deem you a fashion victim. But also, high waisted pants are not the hideous things that people make them out to be. I guess if you pair them with an unfortunate top and accessorize badly, they can come across wrong. I am more inclined toward the vintage look but you can pull this of with a modern look as well.




Don't you love the above looks? The one with the hooded top is to die for!

 I am currently sewing up the Bella pants from Burdastyle. I have of course altered the pattern a bit to better suit my tastes. I do have the pants making bug though I believe. High waisted pants bug that is. So much so that I even purchased a book all about sewing pants. It is called Easy Guide to Sewing Pants by Lynn MacIntyre. I bought it on Amazon as an ebook for my Kindle app on my IPad. How cool is that? I love being able to mix vintage sensibilities with modern technology. The book seems pretty complete and extensive on the subject of sewing pants. It shows you how to account for all sorts of different body shapes and shows you how to sew different styles of pants. I would definitely recommend it for anybody looking to
sew pants that don't look funny.


                                 
So, will you all be joining my high waisted pants revolution? I so hope you will! Check out the book as well, I promise you won't regret it!                                 
Besos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment